Living for Christ

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Alexander the Great!

My mom called me yesterday and said enthusiastically, "I found a dog!" My reply came less enthusiastically, "So what else is new?" Now at first, this may seem like a strange reply from someone who loves animals like I do, but you have to understand what has taken place over the last year and a half. My mom, (and the rest of our family), is a big animal lover. We had dogs when I was little and then acquired a cat in about 1975. (my brother brought her home on the bus, hid her in his bedroom and then went in and said to Mom, "If I ask you a question do you promise to not say no?") :) Well, Mom kept her end of the deal and we had "Mickey" for about 16 years. Then there was Tom Selleck, the siamese tom cat who came to us, then Goldie, the cat Tom Selleck brought home with him. They had Goldie until a couple years ago when she had a stroke and couldn't walk and they had to have her put to sleep. My stepfather refused to get anymore animals and now I think it was because he was much sicker than we realized at the time. He died of cancer in Nov '03.

Well Mom has gone back and forth on getting a pet. She has called me several times to tell me of a dog she found (in the paper, in a petstore etc) She just got rid of 8 kittens (I posted about previously) and I thought for sure she would keep one of them. But each time, she would conclude in the end that she didn't want to be responsible for or tied down with a pet. Soooooo, when she called yesterday I naturally thought, "Here we go again." But I guess it was just a matter of time and finding that perfect pet that she could not resist. The one that is worth being tied down for.

He is a Wheaton, Wirehaired Dachshund, coming with the name of Xander, which my mom says is short for Alexander. She got him thru a dachshund rescue center. All I know is, he is a perfect match for my mom and a welcome addition to our family. I went to visit tonight and he played ball, and snuggled on our laps. I told him we had a lot in common, we were both adopted by the same great lady. :)

So, whether my mom continues to call him Xander, or comes up with a new name, I know it was this "Great" little dog, with his innocent, sweet face - that captured my mom's heart. And that sets well with me.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hey Jojo,

    Just stopped by to say hi. Hope your week goes well.:) :)
    Your friend,
    Melanie

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi JoJo -

    Once had two cats - great pets. They were very entertaining and as different as night and day. I've toyed with the idea of writing a book about them someday. (Every once in awhile, I have the urge to try my hand at children's books!)

    One thing is for sure, they just wrap their little paws around your heart!

    Anna

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Anna,
    Yes, two cats are exactly what we have and yes, they are as different as oil and water. One is long hair and ornery as can be - not a people cat and the other is little and gold and all kinds of personality. They are part of the family.

    You should do the book thing - Never enough good children's books - especially ones written by Christian authors.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi JoJo -

    Haven't seen you in awhile over at Stephen's blog. Miss you.

    I'll be out all day tomorrow - so no one will be seeing me either!
    I'm going on a job with my husband. Sometimes we do that and then go poking through antique shops or flea markets. (I love yard sales, flea markets, antique shops! Such fun.)

    Talk to you soon.

    Anna

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Anna,
    I have been reading everything but just haven't had anything to add. I don't really like the new format there but I understand the need for change.

    As you can see, I haven't even had anything to say on my blog lately. I guess I'm just in a funk. Been busy too.

    But my heart is happy right now. My son came outside while I was watering flowers and asked if we could read together after supper. I asked what he wanted to read and he said - "The Bible". Thank you God - lead us to read the thing he needs most right now.

    Thanks for visiting my blog Anna - I'll talk to you again soon.

     
  • At 1:37 AM, Blogger bookwormaddict said…

    Hey JoJo,
    That's wonderful your mom found a little dog. You should take a picture of Xander and post him so we can see what he looks like. I love dogs! Especially YORKIES:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home