Living for Christ

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

We Are Family

Tonight I got to be with my 40 year old cousin for only the 2nd time in our lives. You see, we only met about a month ago. We were both given up for adoption, at birth.

My parents got to bring me home when I was about 21 days old. They already had a son, who was 2 1/2 at the time, who they also adopted. (He was about 16 days old when they got him) We grew up always knowing we were adopted and being told it made us very special. I was one who was always curious where my birth mom was. Had I ever passed her on the street or maybe she worked somewhere I had been and had spoken to me and I didn't even realize it. I didn't look like anyone in my family and always wondered who I did look like. I always said I would search to find her when I turned 18.

Well, it actually happened when I was 22. Somehow those years passed so quickly, and one day, I was working on someones hair and the subject came up that I was adopted and they asked if I wanted to try to find my birth mom. I explained that I was going to when....Hey wait a minute - I am already old enough!! Wow, how did that happen. So, I called my attorney, made an appt and the search began. Two weeks later, I was talking to her on the phone.

She lives in CA along with a sister, two brothers, an aunt, two cousins and now several neices and nephews. I do have several aunts and uncles and cousins who live real close to me. That is where this new cousin comes into the picture.

The year before I was given up for adoption, my aunt, my birth mom's sister, also gave a baby up for adoption. Well, that baby - now a 40 yr old man, just found her - and us. It was so cool. He lives out of state too - but not as far as my birth mom and family.

So tonight we had a get-together at my other aunt's house because my cousin and his wife and daughter are up here for the week. It is really a blessing how God has brought us all together. There are some amazing people in my birth family - but the best part is - I felt comfortable around them from day 1. They are so much fun. There is really some great humor and talent in the family. Two of my cousins, (this new cousin's brother and sister) both LOVE to video record and take pictures. So they always film when we get together and then take home and make movie on their computer with it. They are very talented at editing and such to make into real masterpieces. But mostly we just play cornhole, or cards, or games or cornhole or take a walk or sit and talk or play cornhole and eat and laugh and, oh yea, play cornhole and laugh some more. It's always great fun!

So, I have been blessed to have so much wonderful family. My mom and dad who adopted me (the only ones I call mom and dad). A wonderful brother who I was raised with and now for the last 17 years - God has reunited me with those whose blood I share. And, I found out who I look like - my birth mom - it's unreal.

It sure is amazing to have two wonderful families who love me. I'm very blessed indeed.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    JoJo,

    How cool! I also met my birth father's family...after I became a Christian, I called him and said something stupid, like..."I just put myself in your place and thought maybe you might think I was mad at you, so just wanted you to know I wasn't. And I was curious if you ever wondered about me...or my family. Just wanted you to know, I have a cool husband and you have three wonderful grandchildren. So...if you ever want to meet...I'm open."

    He invited me to meet at a music festival where he performed. It was awkward and I decided in my mind, I'd never see him again. By the way, he lived in our same town, so, as a kid, though I never saw him, (heard him on the radio) I actually wound up going to the same school as his (real)kids.It was all pretty strange.

    Anyway, I'm so happy for you. I do know that feeling to meet a whole new group of people and find you resemble them and kind of "see" where you fit in...it's pretty incredible.

    I thanked you already on my own blog, but, just wanted to tell you again. I really appreciate your comments. I do feel like we're friends.

    Love,
    Melanie

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Clandestine said…

    Jojo,

    You have an absolutely fascinating life. I could interview you for probably hours (I like to ask a zillion questions about people, so my friends call it an interview when I meet new people).

    If you feel like you want to let me 'interview' you, maybe I could email you? I think you're fascinating!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Melanie,
    I had forgotten about you meeting your birth father. I remember reading about that somewhere. I'm sorry that turned out a little uncomfortable for you. Is he someone I would have heard on the radio? You probably got your beautiful voice and love for music from him? My experience was not all roses, as there were some problems with the "dad" part - but that's another story. :) I'm sure we will talk about it someday.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Ok Clandi,
    Ask away - not a problem. God gave me this life to share. :)

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Clandestine said…

    Jojo,

    Do you have an email address?

    :)

    What can I say? I'm a fan!

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Clandi,
    I am working on the email address. The one I have now is one I share with my husband and so I didn't want to display it on my blog. I am working on getting a hotmail account just for my blog. Will post it soon. Thanks! Hope you are having a good day. Missing our blogging on Stephen's site. Don't know when you leave for your wedding, but we leave in the morning. so I won't be on tomorrow or Sunday until evening. Hope your friend is doing well enough to enjoy the trip. Talk to you soon.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    JoJo,

    Read your adoption story. My best friend adopted two children, one from Korea and one from VietNam. They are now grown. One is married with a little boy. The other is engaged to be married next year. Great kids! She also has one biological child. She says her biological son thought it was a bigger deal to be adopted because they celebrated not only birthdays but arrival days. His birthday and arrival day were one and the same!

    We thought of adopting, but when I called an agency, there was this dead silence when I told them how old we were. Then, "Sorry, we can't help you." At this point, we have come to the conclusion it's just not what the Lord wants for us. He is putting many young believers into our lives to nurture in the Lord.

    I'm so glad you have found such joy in discovering your biological family.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home