Living for Christ

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Happy B-day Dear Dustin!

July 7th, 1989 - 16 years ago, but seems like only yesterday. That's when my precious son was born. I had gone to a business women's dinner as a guest, with a friend of mine. They had mexican night. It was delicious. I think I went to bed about 11:00 - but woke up around 1:00am and thought I was wetting the bed. It was the strangest thing - I got up, and finally realized - my water was breaking. I was only in labor 4 hrs before my firstborn - a son - 8lb 10 oz - 21" long was born into the world. I wanted my firstborn to be a son and God sure blessed me with a special miracle. There is nothing like the gift of being a parent.

I have been trying to figure something special for his 16th - but couldn't seem to come up with the perfect plan. I like to surprise people and do something they would love - but only time will tell if this will be good or not. My husband planned a two day golf outing with some buddies - so that put a little hitch in things since he won't be with us. So we are going to the NCAA Hall of Champions in Indianapolis. It is a sports museum geered for student athletes. There is nothing my son likes better than sports - it is his passion - especially football. His best bud is going with us as well as a friend of mine who is a big sports lover too. She is a teacher and coach - so that will be good. Then we will eat somewhere downtown that he chooses and then go to the canal and rent a paddle boat. I am gonna check into getting a tour of the RCA Dome - home of the Indianapolis Colts - but that probably won't happen on late notice. His buddy has to be home by 5:15 because he has a baseball game and we live an hour from Indy - so that will keep us from going to the Indianaplis Indians game like I had wanted - but that's ok. He has been to an Indians game in the past. I am just looking forward to a day out to celebrate a special day for a special boy. He's my pride and joy and I feel so very blessed to have him as my son. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

6 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi JoJo -

    Happy Birthday to your son! Children are a blessing from the Lord.

    Blessings,
    Anna

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Anna and Lepido - thank you for the b-day wishes to my son. He said to thank you as well.

    We had a fun day - the one museum was not all I thought it might be - but it was fun. I took my camera and took many pictures throughout the day. My son complained the whole time - but I know he will enjoy them later. The canal ride was really fun - it was a beautiful day. The boys sat in the back of this 4 person paddle boat and they got to steer. They tried to take us right into the waterfall three different times. We had to threaten them - but their little mischievous grins were pretty cute.

    The best part of the whole day was on the way home, just my son and I, and he said, "Well you succeeded in making this a good b-day Mom." That meant the world right there. I really am very blessed.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hey JoJo,

    I was thinking of you! Glad Dustin had a nice birthday. It's incredible to think back to when they were born...no matter how old they are, it seems like yesterday. The 16th was always a special one for my kids. For Paul, my first, I made a scrapbook, cut out pictures of him,(before it became "in" and they actually sold scrapbooking stuff) placing them in different settings and made up a silly story about him, ending with a funny poem. It became a tradition, since the others expected it on their 16th as well.

    Hope your special day turned out well.

    Love,
    Melanie

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Christinewjc said…

    Hi Jojo,

    Happy 'belated' Birthday to your son! Sounds like you had a great day with all the activities planned. I'm sure you cherish those special days and events.

    With my son turning 21 (yikes!)on July 21st, I now see him as the young adult that he really is!! No trips, gifts or anything like that...he just wants cash! haha

    Thanks for all of your great posts at my blog...I really appreciate our new friendship!

    God bless,
    Christine

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Melanie,
    I like your scrapbooking idea - that would be something to cherish, for sure. They grow up so fast - like a blink of the eye. It is hard to let go and accept that he is growing up. I can't imagine that he is 16. That is usually the magic age they can start dating - but I can't even imagine that!! I know God is trying to teach me to pray and trust. That is such a hard one. We want to protect them - when in all reality - God is so much better at that than we could ever be. I'm still trying to learn. But children are definitely a gift - and they teach us so much about love and about how God sees us. He's so good to give us these earthly relationships so we can better understand. :)

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Christine,
    21 on the 21st huh? Wow - that's another big milestone. I got a chuckle out of the "cash" present. Isn't that the way it goes?

    yes - we had a good day - another memory to cherish (along with some great pictures that he resisted at the time-but will be glad to have someday)

    Thank you for your friendship - I always look forward to reading your posts and being encouraged in my faith.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home