Living for Christ

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Why I Love the Colts

One of the best presents I got for Christmas was tickets for my husband and I to go to the Indianapolis Colts game on New Year's Day. It was an awesome game to be at for a couple reasons. 1)It was a great way to start the year. 2) It was great to be there to welcome Coach Dungy back.

I have known for sometime that Coach Tony Dungy loves the Lord Jesus and have had the opportunity to hear him speak of his faith on TV and Christian radio. And my respect for him has grown over the last few years he has coached the Colts because he uses his publicity and fame to speak about his faith time and time again. I also see him live his faith.

When his son, James, took his life a couple days before Christmas, we were able to hear many people in the NFL speak out about Coach Dungy. Every single person remarked about his faith being strong and they knew that would get him thru this great tragedy. They also spoke of how he had touched their life and how much they respected him.

When Mark and I went to the game Sunday, first thing in the door the greeters handed us a little book and said it was a gift from Coach Dungy. I replied, "He is the one who lost a child and he's giving us gifts." But I have to tell you, it's what I read inside the book that impressed me the most. It is called, "Real People, Real Faith" (Seven Men/Seven Short Stories) It was put out by Athletes in Action and had accounts from Coach Dungy and six of his players about their Christian faith. I was so encouraged and inspired by what I read from each of these men. I was also enlightened why the Colts are having such success this year.

I was so pleased to know that Josh Williams, Jeff Saturday, Tarik Glenn, Dallas Clark, Hunter Smith and David Thornton are all believers in the Lord Jesus. I want to share with you a quote from Coach Dungy that I read in this book. "The inspiration for my coaching model comes from Jesus, Himself. He has taught me that my job is more than just showing my guys how to block and tackle. It's also about influence. I want to show both players and fans that being a Christian and being successful are not mutually exclusive. We tend to think head coaches have to be cutthroat, squeezing everything possible out of their players. I disaree. Players want to win. If I provide them with a good environment, show them how it's done, and encourage them, we're going to have a team-and a recored-that we can be proud of."

With leadership like that, how can they not be successful? God promises that when we live to glorify Him, He will bless us. That is all the more reason I want to see them have success this year.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger steve said…

    He is a true testimony to what a "Coach" should be. He is one amazing man! I love the fact he handed those out to fans. What an amazing thing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home