Living for Christ

Friday, January 13, 2006

The Big 4-0

Well today is the dreaded day. The day I leave the youth of my 30's and enter into a new decade of 40's. For a woman, turning 40 can be a big deal. It seems to emphasize the crinkles around the eyes and the drooping of the body parts. (we won't name any specifics) :) But since I've had a whole year, since I turned 39, to dread this birthday - I'm feeling pretty terrific today.

The funniest thing is, I can specifically remember when my parents were this age and how old I thought they were. Not so funny at all really because I don't feel old at all. It just goes to show how our perspectives change thru the years. But mostly I am again reminded of the many times my mother told me to not wish my life away. As we hear so often, time sure flies. I really have trouble believing I am 40 and have a son who is 16. It goes but in the blink of an eye.

I really loved what my perpetual calander said today. It seems so perfect for me:
"My life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily....
The dark threads are as needful
in the Weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
in the pattern He has planned."

I could never have imagined where my life would take me, but I can truthfully say I am thankful for every situation God has allowed me to go thru. May the time I have left on this earth be spent living what I have learned during the 40 years I celebrate today. And what I have learned can be summed up by saying, my life is not my own, for I have a creator who crafted me for His very purpose. Every situation I have lived is part of the pattern that tailors me to be who He created me to be. It's not about what I want, but it's about finding out what He wants, and doing it. And what He wants is always so much better than anything I could ever desire or think of. The only way I can ever figure out what He wants, is to discover who He is. And the only way to do that, is to realize my need for a savior, invite Jesus to come into my life and allow Him to be Lord of my life. His Spirit teaches me each and everyday that I submit my will to His. Reading my Bible and spending private time in prayer is essential in maturing as a Christian. I cannot know God without reading His Word.

Thank you Father for 40 good years. I am most thankful for my Lord, my salvation, my family and my friends. Thank you for knowing exactly what I need and being the giver of every good and perfect gift. Thank you for teaching me that hard times are good and perfect too - when we trust You and lean not on our own understanding. May I continue to draw closer to You and live my life to glorify your name. In Jesus' name - Amen

6 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Clandestine said…

    Happy Birthday to you!!!
    Happy Birthday to you!!!
    Happy Birthday, dear Jojo!!!
    Happy Birthday to you!

    I hope you have a great day and a great year!!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger steve said…

    Happy Birthday!!!!

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi JoJo!

    Happy birthday! It gets better every day living for Christ!

    Blessings,
    Anna

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said…

    Happy Birthday!!........I am actually closer to the 50-thing then 40 (as I approach 48 in April).....Ow! But, God is good and each day is a day that He has made, to be thankful for, and to carry on with His leading. Time does fly by, indeed.

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    A belated happy birthday. Just visiting for the first time. Great blog. Will be adding you to my favs.

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Jim Jordan said…

    Happy belated Birthday, Jojo! 40 is still very young. I'm 41 so you won't catch up to me ever. Take care,
    Jim

    P.S. Sorry about the Colts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home