Living for Christ

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Forgiveness

A little over a month ago, I received an email that said "A Voice From the Past". I recognized the name as being an old classmate that I went to school with from grades 7th-12th. As I opened and began reading he confirmed that this was indeed my classmate from so long ago. (We graduated 22 years ago)

He told me how his sister had forwarded him an email and he got the link to my blog and had been reading about me and my daughter. He told me about his own belief in Jesus and becoming a Christian in 1985. As I was thoroughly enjoying this unexpected letter, what he said next touched my heart in an unexpectant way. He wrote, "And now, I want to ask you one thing. I was not very nice to you in high school. I talked about you, saying many mean, hurtful things, and I only did it because I thought you hated me. High school was not very easy for me, socially. I was kind of an outcast, and I blamed part of that on you. I know I was wrong, but I was also immature. I should never have said things about you, regardless. So, I ask you to please forgive me. I know I can’t take back or change the past, but just like Jesus’ blood wipes away my sins forever, your forgiveness will erase a lot of hurt.

I hope you find time to ponder all this, and maybe send me a reply sometime. I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family, and draw you all closer to Him so you can serve Him and further His Kingdom."


With tears streaming down my face, I was humbled like never before. Oh the joy I felt in my heart knowing that this boy I had known from so long ago, had become a man of God and was my brother in Christ.

I hurried to write him back saying, "I absolutely forgive you. But you don't owe me an apology. I owe you one. Yes, I was nothing but a snob and a b_ _ _ _. Ooops, I'm not supposed to cuss, but the truth is the truth. I'm sure I had coming anything you might have said - so don't worry about it. I didn't hate you - I just didn't know you, and didn't really care to. I was too busy chasing all the wrong things and having nothing but regrets now because of it. But isn't it wonderful that God has brought us together again and we can love and appreciate each other now, because of Him. That's just so cool! I am sorry for not taking the time to get to know you, for not appreciating who you are, for not respecting you, for not being kind to you and for not making you feel valuable as a human being. I need to say that to so many people, but I'm glad you gave me the oppportunity to say it to you. Most of all, I'm glad we are family, brother and sister in Christ."

We have had the best time writing back and forth getting to know each other. It is so funny how two people who once couldn't stand each other now genuinely look forward to hearing from each other. But that is what Christ does. He totally changes our perspective on life, giving it new meaning and purpose. He takes those things we thought were important and shows us why they aren't. How seeking what the world says brings pleasure really results in regret and guilt. But seeking the Lord brings eternal value, meaning and truth to our lives.

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing. Jesus Christ died in our place to offer us forgiveness of our sin. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Rom 3:23-24

Thank you Lord Jesus, for dieing in our place, and offering forgiveness for our sin. Thank you for a love so great that you were willing to endure more pain and suffering than we can even imagine in order that we might know You. Thank you for being our example and for changing our once hard hearts and molding them around you. Friendship is a special gift from you and I thank you for my special friend and brother in Christ, Bob. Bless him for reaching out in humility so that we could become friends. May you continue to live in and through us, that we may bring glory and honor to your Name. It's in Your Name I pray, Amen.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said…

    How neat! What a God thing----forgiveness!

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi JoJo -

    Great post! Someone once said that holding unforgiveness, bitterness and resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die. It is unbelievably destructive to our well being and hinders our walk with the Lord.

    Paul even told husbands not to be bitter against their wives lest their prayers would be hindered (Anna's paraphrase).

    Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story of reconciliation.

    Blessings,
    Anna

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger steve said…

    thats what it is like to go through the program. Cleaning the wrongs and the wreakage of our past

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Jim Jordan said…

    Hi, Jojo
    What a powerful story. This made me think of a few instances in which I asked for forgiveness from people I hurt during my pre-Christian indiscretions. I sought their forgiveness as well and it made a world of difference to me.

    I didn't hate you - I just didn't know you, and didn't really care to.

    This is exactly how I used to think, too. Christ replaced that apathy with His passion. Now it's I love you, if I don't know you, I will always have a desire to know you. The exact opposite.

    By the way, keep ending with a prayer. It puts just the right touch on your posts. I have a habit of ending in a punchline that, however witty, may give a sense of judgmental finality to the post. A prayer is much better. It leaves the question before God where it belongs. I might just copy your style.
    God bless you and the family.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger BigDadGib said…

    I enjoy reading your blog.

    May I add your site to my bigdadgib blogroll?
    I want to share your post with my readers too.

    His,
    BigDadGib

     
  • At 3:18 AM, Blogger Carola said…

    thats truly an amazing and powerful story. I think back to my high school years when i was picked on alot - and i often wondered if one day someone would say sorry for being so mean. But now im folling the Right path, and God gives me the want to say sorry to them, for no matter how much they picked on me, i vented so much hate towards them which i now regret. I hope that one day i have the opportunity to say sorry to them like Bob has said sorry to you...

    I really love your blog, and i think i might add you to my list because i dont have many blogs that are God-inspiring like i find yours. But i do hope to come visit you again and thank you for being so open and honest, in more ways than you know that i feel i should try to apply them to my life.

    I love how we can learn from each other in the freedom and grace of God!!!

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger michelle said…

    I never get a chance to tell you this, Jodi, but I truly admire you. I seem to never get to stay around at family functions and such, and when I do, I don't want to see you cry, so I am on here to say that you are a very strong woman. My risky pregnancies scared me terribly. I couldn't imagine dealing with your hardships, but you do it well and you do it gracefully. Thank you for showing me how to be if ever I am in your shoes. Michelle Mouser

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Michelle,

    Thank you so much for your kind works. You really touched my heart. God allows different things in each of our lives to teach us and grow us. He taught me so much through Kristin,& He continues to teach me even though she's with Him now.

    Thanks again for sharing with me - it really means a lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home