Living for Christ

Monday, August 15, 2005

School Is Back In Session!

Well, today is the first day of school. So what does that mean for me? It means that it is very quiet here at home today and that once I clean up the house this morning, it will stay that way until tonight!! YEA!! It also means that the rat race is back on. With my husband teaching chemistry and coaching football, and my son being a sophomore, and playing football - their days are long and our time together as a family is short. BUMMER!!

It's even harder, because I know my son only has three more years here at home, before he's off into the world and on his own. This is on my mind so much. My husband had to go to school to work in his classroom last evening, and so my son and I had some "Mother/Son" time. We both enjoy these times so much - even though I'm sure he wouldn't readily admit it.

Here is how we spent the evening: I made dinner and he suggested we find something we both wanted to watch, on TV. We got the pillows all arranged on the bed and piled in; food, drinks, cats and remote. Then as we scanned thru the channels, we decided on "The Pacifier" on PPV. It was an enjoyable move, even though he pushed the wrong button and we got the 7:00pm show instead of the 7:30pm one we intended. Missing the first 32 minutes only made it a little harder to figure out the character relationships, but we soon caught on. But the best part was the times he would lean over and rest his head on my shoulder and sharing smiles and laughter at the funny parts of the movie. I'm sure he would also add how much he enjoys my reactions when I have to "share" his air space as he puts me thru the "gas chamber". (why do boys get such a big kick out of that?!!) :)

I know God is really trying to teach me alot thru this time. As I watch time vanish in the blink of an eye, I find myself trying to hold on ever so tightly. I look back and see him as a small child and it seems such a very short time ago. I look ahead and know someday soon I will long for the times we share together now. (yes, even the gas chamber) But the reality is, he is not only my child, he is more importantly "a child of God". I know that God loves him even more deeply than I do and is so much better able to care for him. I know God wants me to trust and rely on Him to watch over and protect my precious child. That is why I found this prayer from Stormie Omartian's book "The Power of a Praying Parent" exactly what I need to pray:

Father, I come to you in Jesus' name and give Dustin to You. I'm convinced that You alone know what is best for him. You alone know what he needs. I release him to You to care for and protect, and I commit myself to pray for everythng concerning him that I can think of or that You put upon my heart. Teach me how to pray and guide me in what to pray about. Help me not to impose my own will when I'm praying for him, but rather enable me to pray that Your will be done in his life.

Thank You that I can partner with You in raising him and that I don't have to do it alone. I'm grateful that I don't have to rely on the world's unreliable and ever-changing methods for child rearing, but that I can have clear directions from Your Word and wisdom as I pray to You for answers.

Thank You, Lord, for the precious gift of this child. Because Your Word says that every good gift comes from You, I know that You have given him to me to care for and raise. Help me to do that. Show me places where I continue to hang on to him and enable me to release him to Your protection, guidance, and counsel. Help me not to live in fear of possible dangers, but in the joy and peace of knowing that You are in control. I rely on You for everything, and this day I trust my child to You and release him into Your hands. Thru Jesus I pray - Amen

2 Comments:

  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hey JoJo,

    Just stopping in to say hi! Sounds like things are really busy. You are such a good mom.:) I hope we get a chance to meet Dustin one day, he seems like such an incredible kid.

    We're still talking about our Indiana trip. That was such a blessing and one we won't forget...probably ever. Maybe I'll call you this weekend or something.

    Looks like I might get to meet Lepido and Nancy. Wish you could be there too!

    I think I told you before that this time of year is just wierd...I don't know if you ever get used to not 'getting ready for school'

    Anyway,I'll talk to you.

    Lepido,you've just lived an incredibly exciting life! I'm feeling a little more adventurous just reading about it.):):):)

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said…

    Thanks for the nice comments on a post from my blog. Sounds to me like you live a very busy life, and know what it is all about. That's a powerful combination!

    Peace.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home